Tis the season for farmer's markets

Farmer's Market season is in full swing. Our local one started last month and runs through the end of September. It's one evening a week at a local downtown park. I've been to all but one so far. I've picked up a flower basket, peppers, tomatoes, spinach, cucumbers, green tea, breads, cookies, garlic scapes (which I'd never had before) and other items. There's a lady there each week who sells homemade jellies and jams. I think I'll visit her next week.

I love getting all the fresh veggies, but I also adore the cheese and bread tents. I've gotten super sharp cheddar, Monterrey jack, a creamy one with dill (I think it was Havarti) and a horseradish jack, which was wonderful.

At the bread tent, I usually grab some fresh tomato focaccia and some pretzel rolls. I got there late and they were out of both, so I got some of the herb focaccia, which is also fantastic. Here's a look at what you'll find there:



Looks good, huh? When I was there last week I asked if they had a retail location. She told me that they come from Labriola Bakery and that they have a tea room, Tiffany's Tea Room, in Crown Point where the sell a lot of the baked items you can buy at the farmer's market. I'll have to pay the tea room a visit one of these days.

Comments