Would you like a moon pie?

I cringe every time my kids eat some packaged sweet stuff. I know it's bad for them. I know there's no nutritional value. But, who doesn't love a little treat once in a while? We bake goodies around here maybe once or twice every week or two -- cakes, brownies, pies, breads, muffins, cupcakes, cookies. And desserts in the lunchboxes are a rare treat, because, hey, I was a kid once. If mom packed me a sandwich, an apple and some cookies, you bet your sweet Chips Ahoy I was going for the cookies first.

So, with that said, it's not like I ban store bought sweets, but they are very limited. Besides, if a box of Little Debbies is spotted in this house, they are inhaled in no time. I saw these last week and thought it would make a decent treat for the kids. They love moon pies, but the larger ones are so huge and so you eat more of the stuff that's bad for you. Mini moon pies seem like a good compromise for an occasional treat. I noticed that they had 110 calories. That's not bad. Three Oreos come in at 210 calories, a cup of ice cream is 280, a peanut butter chocolate chip granola bar is 140. Still completely awful for you, but in the world of junk food, I guess it's on the lesser evil side. :)

Comments