Outdoor bruchetta

I very much move my kitchen out to the back yard on a lovely spring or summer day. The other day, as the steaks and chicken were cooking on the grill and everyone was very hungry, I whipped up a quick snack to tide us over. I placed some large slices of Italian bread on the grill to toast them. In a bowl I mixed up:

1 can of diced tomatoes
About 2 tbsps of olive oil
About 1 1/2 tbsp of garlic (from a jar of minced garlic in my fridge)
About 1 tsp Italian seasoning
A few leaves of chopped fresh basil

I stirred it quickly and by the time I was done, the bread was toasted and we had a nice little appetizer as we waited for the entree to finish. Of course, fresh tomatoes and garlic make it even better, but I had to move quick, since dinner was already cooking and I had a table full of hungry ones clamoring for some grub. Sometimes shortcuts are the way to go and in this case the shortcut was delicious.


Comments