Food Penpal package reveal - SCORE! :)

Last month I saw blog post on Cravings of a Lunatic about a Foodie Penpal program organized by Lindsay at The Lean Green Bean. Here's how it works. You go to her blog, click on the "Foodies Penpal" tab and fill out the form. On the 5th of the month, she'll send an e-mail that lets you know who you will be sending a package to and you can see who is sending you a package (these will be two different people.)

The spending limit is $15. You have 'til the 15th of the month to ship your package. If your foodie penpal has a blog, you can peek to see what kind of foods might suit them best. I looked at my penpal's page to see that see likes chocolate. I also wanted to send something she wouldn't find in her area in Seattle. Among the items I sent was a box of gourmet chocolate candies from Gayety's, a candy and ice cream shop that originated in Chicago in 1920.

I was excited when I first heard from my penpal, a lady named Donna who doesn't even have a food blog, but who wanted to participate. She's from New Jersey. This is what was in the package I got.


When I unpacked, the first thing I spotted was a box of chocolate cupcakes. Her enclosed letter explained that they are popular on the east coat and she's heard from people who have moved south or west who complained that they couldn't find them. I haven't seen them in the Chicago area, so it was fun to get to try them. My oldest son and his buddy had just walked in the door and had to inspect what I got. They tried out the cupcakes before I did and both gave them a thumbs up. My middle son wasn't feeling good that morning and had stayed home from school...and a chocolate cupcake made him feel much better. Finally, I tried one. Loved it...now I'm just sad that I can't get them here. :)


My middle son also zoned in on the Cookie butter. I saw that it was from Trader Joe's, a store I have never been in. I know, hard to believe that a foodie hasn't been there, but really I am afraid to go there. I just know I'll fall in love and my checkbook will not like me. So, I have stayed away. To go with this cookie butter, she even included a bag of pretzel rods for dipping. 

My son loves peanut butter. When he read the label that said "A deliciously unusual spread reminiscent of gingerbread and made with crushed biscuits," he was skeptical. He decided to try it on some graham crackers and he really liked liked it. I dug into it with a pretzel rod...and I am addicted. More than half of it is gone. I fear I may have to make a trip to Trader Joe's when I finish it off, even though I've been resisting it for a long time. This cookie butter is too good not to keep it stocked in the cabinet.





I haven't gotten around to trying this out yet, but I love Asian food and am looking forward to trying it. It is a rice seasoning that contains seaweed. I'll post a review as soon as I get around to using it.


She also enclosed her favorite chili mix and cans of what she adds to it. I love that I got the whole ingredients list (minus the ground beef, of course.) I just put some beef in a pan so make a batch. I'll let you know soon how it was.


The foodie penpal program was so much fun. I had fun shopping for items for my penpal and I had so much fun opening the one I got. I'm definitely in for next month. Thanks, Lindsay for hosting it. :) Looking forward to getting my next package!

Comments