A few days left to try Build Your Own Pancakes at Denny's

Yesterday morning, after all the kids were back for their first day of school, hubby and I made our way over to Denny's in Calumet City for breakfast. The folks at Denny's invited me to come by and check out the Build Your Own Pancake menu, which is available through next Monday. How could I pass that up? Who doesn't love pancakes?

The menu allows you to customize your order by making four selections. First, you choose buttermilk or hearty wheat pancakes. Next comes your mix in, which can be glazed pecans, diced bacon, blueberries, chocolate chips or white chocolate chips (you choose one with the regular order, but can add additional mix-ins for 50 cents each.) Then you select your toppings: fresh strawberries, fresh banana slices, caramel sauce, hot fudge or peanut butter sauce. Lastly, you decide yea or nay to the whipped cream.

A short stack of two very generously-sized pancakes is $5.99. The tall stack is three for $6.79. Each meal comes with two eggs cooked to your liking, two pieces of bacon or sausage (or our server offered us one of each) and a choice of hash browns, red-skinned potatoes or grits. You can also order without the sides, which starts at $3.99.

If you're having trouble deciding or need some inspiration to make a decision, you can look at the five pre-built dishes, which include Bananaberry Pancakes Breakfast, Sweet Pecana 'Nana Pancakes Breakfast, Blueberry Muffin Pancakes Breakfast and Peanut Butter Cup Pancakes Breakfast. There's also the option of a Red, White and Blue Pancakes Breakfast with blueberries, strawberries and a special cream cheese icing (that isn't one of the topping options for the Build Your Own.)


So, I decided on white chocolate chips and glazed pecans in buttermilk pancakes topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. After I ordered, I realized that the hot fudge topping would be a pretty good accompaniment, so I asked our very attentive and friendly server, Antwoine, for some hot fudge on the side. I was right. That made it even better.




Hubby's was a rich plate of chocolate chip and glazed pecan buttermilk pancakes with fresh banana topping and peanut butter sauce and whipped cream. Oh. my. gosh. They were really, really delish. Reminded me of the fried peanut butter and banana sandwich I had when visiting Graceland. These pancakes would make Elvis proud. :)

Oh, and I did try a bite of them with a little hot fudge topping, too. So good.



And...funny coincidence. We are sitting there eating and who do I see walk through the door? My dad. He was there picking up an order to go - the sausage gravy and biscuits. I didn't realize Dad was a regular there. He stops in at least a couple mornings a week. When I told him I was there trying out the pancake menu to write a blog post about it, he said to also tell my readers that the sausage gravy is fantastic. 

The Build Your Own Pancake menu is only available through Monday, August 26, so get in while you can to design your own breakfast. A new custom menu begins on Tuesday and I'll fill you in on it after our next visit.


** I did receive a complimentary meal for the purpose of a review. I did not receive any compensation for this post. All opinions are my own.


Comments