Glenwood Oaks, Glenwood, Illinois

In the south burbs there's a place called Glenwood Oaks. It dates back about three-quarters of a century and since I was a kid it's been a nice constant for a good meal. I couldn't begin to count how many events I've attended in the banquet rooms there. In my 12+ years of working as the administrative assistant to the HR director at a high school district, there were always several retirement parties held there at the end of each school year. My good friend's wedding reception was there. My niece's wedding shower was there. The place has good food and good memories. I love the old school feel of the place.

So, recently I got a text from my dad, "Lunch date soon?" and I'm always eager to head out for lunch with dad. He's my buddy and we have fun conversations about baseball and music and what his grandkids are up to. I checked my entertainment book to see if I had coupons for any places that Dad was interested in. When he heard Glenwood Oaks, he said, "Let's go there. I haven't been there in ages." So off we went.

The meal started off with this fabulous bread, just how I love it - crusty on the outside, soft yet chewy inside.


Dad's an iced tea fanatic. Growing up at home there was always a pitcher of iced tea in the fridge. I dropped him off at the door, went to park and by the time I made it in, Dad was sitting at the table with two glasses of iced tea. Loved that we had our own little carafe right there for refills.

A little history...

We started with some tomato bread as an appetizer. Fantastic flavor. :)

I got the spinach salad with warm bacon dressing. I had a dinner to attend later that evening, so I didn't want to fill up too much. But, after bread, then tomato bread and splitting a burger and fries with dad, I barely touched the salad. It was so colorful, though, and the presentation was pretty.


The Glenwood Burgers was really good. I hardly ever order a burger at a steakhouse simply because I feel like I could have a burger anytime. However, this one was well worth ordering and the best burger I've had for a while.

It had been a while since I'd been at Glenwood Oaks, also. I should return at dinner time or when I have a bigger lunchtime appetite because I've always thought it was one of the best places (if not the best) to get a steak in the south suburbs. I also highly recommend the caesar salad.


Glenwood Oaks
106 N. Main Street
Glenwood, IL
(708) 758-4400
www.glenwoodoaks.com

Comments