El Taco Real: Hammond, IN

I first heard about El Taco Real a few years back. And I mean a few years. It was from a fellow room mom in my son's second grade class. That son is turning 21 this year. So, yeah, it's been a while. She raved about it and told me it was the best Mexican food I'd find anywhere. That opinion has been repeated to me a few times over the years.

So, I figured it was finally time to make it to this legendary Northwest Indiana eatery to see what all the buzz was about. I texted my dad, asked him if he had plans for lunch and told him I'd be on my way to pick him up to introduce him to a new place.

We nibbled on tortilla chips, salsa and pico de gallo as we perused the menu. Sometimes salsa in such places is just too spicy for my palate, but this one hit the spot - a nice spicy zing without overwhelming heat.



There are several combination platters and meals, but we ordered a la carte to try a few different items. The restaurant has been around for over 40 years now and after lunch I was kicking myself for not having tried it earlier. All I had ever heard was proven true.

A cheese quesadilla and beef enchilada suizo are pictured here.


And here we have a steak taco with refried beans and rice. This was absolutely the best taco I've ever had! The steak was oozing with flavor and it was loaded with fresh veggies. It's ruined me for steak tacos anywhere else.


I'm looking forward to the next trip there to try out some more menu items and enjoy another steak taco.

El Taco Real
935 Hoffman Street
Hammond, IN
(219) 932-8333
ElTacoRealRestaurant.com

Comments