Green salad with goat cheese and dried fruit

I love salads and have in recent years graduated from the typical iceberg lettuce with cucumber and tomato that I grew up on. It's one of my favorite parts of dining out -- trying a new salad or peeking at the menu to see what kinds of combinations they're using. I've come to appreciate the mix of sweet and savory items, the soft with the crunchy, the aromas created by such fresh ingredients.

So, for a weekend lunch I stood at the stove making quesadilla after quesadilla since all five kids and and my husband were home. Then I took a look in the fridge to see what I had that could go in a salad. It was time for a weekly shopping run so not that much to choose from, but I had enough for a nice salad of:

romaine lettuce
organic pea shoots (Trader Joe's is the only place I've ever seen these)
broccoli microgreens
baby carrots
gold raisins
dried cranberries
croutons
goat cheese

I would have liked to have added some kind of nuts for a little crunch, but the croutons helped.



Comments